Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day 4: New Hope Community Centre, Siem Reap






Today began with a call from my Real Estate agent. I’m throwing in the auction of my Sydney apartment into this crazy mix and today had to set my opening and reserve prices. As if I have the headspace for that right now.

The humidity and then torrential rain resulted in the little ones being absolutely hyper today. We had the most amazing greeting, practically mown down with affection before we could even make it into the gates of New Hope.

There were so many of the toddlers in our colouring class (more than 40) that we ran out of copies. It took them less than a minute to cotton onto the fact that I was producing more from the big machine in the ‘office’ and before I knew what was going on, there were 20+ of the monkeys surrounding me, hands up in the air, shouting (something like) “Moi, moi” which clearly means “one for me”. Half of them had their other hand behind their back with a copy already. The are so cunning, stashing whatever they can into their bags, pockets, whatever, including photocopied coloring in pictures to box loads of pastels and pens.

Today’s theme for my Level 4 class (the most advanced) was ‘Pen Pals’. To cut a very long story short, my poor little eight year old nephew in Melbourne is now going to receive some 15 or so letters from Chaniha, Danet, Ngim, Srey Sros, Ton Han, Srey Neat, and others. Fortunately my sister-in-law, Michelle, is really interested in my experience and I’m really hoping her enthusiasm rub off on Sam (or that Michelle will forge letters to them from Sam!).

No comments:

Post a Comment