Saturday, October 30, 2010

Snakes Alive!


Anyone who knows me really well will know of my extreme snake phobia and some have witnessed it first hand; most recently my nieces Polly and Charlie when they gave me a “trick present” for Christmas last year – a rubber version from the $2 shop - or my IMG work colleagues at the Singapore night zoo.  

My phobia is thriving here in Cambodia where the worms are the size of small snakes, where it’s not uncommon to see a snake slithering across a road (in “suburbia”), a local giving one a good whack against a fence, clearly dreaming of her family feast that night or little children ‘wearing’ them as a fashion accessory!   Out at the floating villages, a friend of mine, Carol, saw a woman force-feeding a small-ish python the other morning, obviously trying to fatten it up to get more meat for her starving family. 


In Cambodia, there are more amputations of limbs as a result of non-treatment of snake bites that there are from landmines.  Many of the poor opt to visit a local medicine man than to go to a hospital where they will be charged $4.  Recently one man rocked up at New Hope’s Clinic with a completely black (effectively dead) arm, the result of a particularly nasty bite.  He had to be taken to hospital to have it amputated. 

The best type of snake in my opinion is a dead one.  Many of my more adventurous volunteer friends have dared to try them at local markets and to my horror, New Hope serves it up as an entrĂ©e to its Tour groups, alongside crickets and salted peanuts!  (The horror part of this is actually the smell of it cooking in the afternoon which sends me flying from the office I work in!).


No comments:

Post a Comment