Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 6: Siem Reap and Auction Day in Sydney


I woke at 04:00 this morning, filled with anxiety, the result of the auction of my Sydney apartment which was scheduled to start in an hour (09:00 Sydney time).   At 04:30 Katarina called me with an update on the weather, then at 04:50 my estate agent called with an update of registered buyers.  I can’t begin to tell you how surreal this experience was, given where I was, in Siem Reap, in pitch dark, before the sun had even risen, and particularly after the incredibly challenging and emotional week I’d had at New Hope.  So, as the bids took off, and rose and rose, I sobbed down the phone to Kat, reduced her to tears and then practically collapsed with relief when it actually sold, getting a price well beyond what I expected.   

In the afternoon I cycled with three other Globalteer volunteers, hundreds of Khmer locals, and western NGO volunteers to Angkor Wat for Worldwide Climate Change awareness.  It was amazing to be part of, even in the ridiculous heat, the chaos of poor bike skills (the Khmers have no understanding of basic road rules, lack peripheral vision), and with such poor equipment.  One Khmer teenager had the gall to laugh at my rusted up machine – not that I blame him in the slightest. It’s a shocker!

The ride culminated in a photo opp in front of Angkor Wat, with a helicopter buzzing overhead.  We’re hoping that this will make part of the international coverage which is being broadcast in Times Square, New York.  Look out for us on CNN and BBC (though they never, ever cover anything on Cambodia – a major gripe for the local expats).   





No comments:

Post a Comment